Code of Ethics
This code of ethics is established in accordance with the objectives of the American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Canada.
This code of ethics is a guideline to be used to maintain the character of the club and further its objectives. All members shall exhibit the highest degree of sportsmanship and conduct him/herself in such a manner as to reflect credit on, and not to be injurious to the sport of purebred dog showing, the American Staffordshire Terrier breed and the American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Canada. Any violations of this Code of Ethics, by a member, will be viewed as conduct injurious to the club or to the breed and subject to prompt action by the club.
An ethical member will:
1. Abide by the constitution and by-laws of the American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Canada as well as those of the Canadian Kennel Club.
2. Promote any dog eligible for registration with the Canadian Kennel Club as an "American Staffordshire Terrier" and an "American Staffordshire Terrier" only.
3. Register all brood bitches with the Canadian Kennel Club and all stud dogs shall be registered with a kennel club whose stud books are recognized by the Canadian Kennel Club.
4. Keep accurate breeding records, registration papers and pedigrees.
5. Maintain the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness and care.
6. Support and conduct only ethical trade practices. Honestly evaluate the quality of each American Staffordshire Terriers sold, and fairly represent that evaluation. Members shall maintain prices so as not to be injurious to the breed. Animals which are of substandard or inferior quality in relation to the breed standard but otherwise healthy, both physically and mentally, should be sold with a written agreement to everyone's full understanding to have said animal altered.
7. Direct his/her efforts toward breeding American Staffordshire Terriers of exceptional quality. He/she sincerely believes his/her breeding stock represents the standard and is sound mentally and physically.
8. Ensure the all dogs offered at stud shall not be bred prior to twelve (12) months of age and shall be in good health and free from any disqualifying or debilitating genetic faults and communicable diseases. Any bitch accepted for stud service must be at least eighteen (18) months of age or in her third season, in good health and free from any disqualifying debilitating genetic faults and communicable diseases. If a bitch is bred twice, consecutively, she must be allowed one full year between breedings.
9. Ensure that no dog or bitch be breed, puppies sold or older dogs sold, leased or given away by the owner of any of the above to anyone who is directly or indirectly involved with illegal activities, or sold to any puppy broker, puppy mill, litter lot sales or any commercial enterprise whose business is involved in like activities. An ethical member does not supply stock for raffles, "give-away" prizes or similar projects. He does not encourage the raising of American Staffordshire Terriers merely as a money-making scheme.
10. Furnish records to each buyer of CKC registration, all shots, wormings, pedigrees and veterinary records.
11. Advertise honestly and in no way misrepresent, defraud or mislead.
12. Participate, within one's own means, in defense against canine legislation discriminatory/injurious to the welfare of the American Staffordshire Terrier as well as all dogs.
13. Never allow his/her American Staffordshire Terrier to roam at large.
14. Responsibly conduct oneself within one's means that promotes the American Staffordshire Terrier and does not bring harm to the breed.